Russian Coup 1991
- Gorbachev made changes
- First he introduced "rule of law"
- Felt that socialism could be achieved in a democratic state
- Aug. 1991, Attempted coup d'etat
- Boris Yeltsin saved Gorbachev and eventually becomes de facto leader
- Gorbachev became lame duck leader, Yeltsin made final step to outlaw communism in Russian Republic
- Dec 1. 1991, a vote is held in the Ukraine for independence
- Led to formation of Commonwealth of Independent states
"People don't realise that the worst thing for me was that I didn't know."
Gorbachev changes things. Russian citizens don't like it, attempt to overthrow.