!980 Arms Race:
-The USSR had 3:2 advantage in sheer numbers
- New issue is how to deliver them
- Cruise missiles are placed in Europe by NATO
- 'Smart Weapons' planes, weapons, and even tanks begin to be controlled with computer and are 'guided'
Strategic Defence Initiative (SDI)
- The SDI - also known as "Star Wars"; wanted to have a defensive umbrella over the U.S. to shoot down incoming missiles from space
- Soviets could not afford to keep up with this kind of science
- The arms race would not fizzle out until Mikhail Gorbachev came to power in the USSR in 1985
"The future doesn't belong to the fainthearted. It belongs to the brave."
Reagan came up with far fetched ideas to beat the USSR. Arms race ensued.