- 40th U.S. President
- A former Hollywood actor
- Elected for a second term in 1984
- Saw the USSR as the "evil empire" and wouldn't negotiate with them for the first years of his Presidency
- Was much more hardline than the detente presidents
- Increased military spending dramatically as part of the renewed arms race with the USSR
- Reganomics - Policy to outspend Soviets in arms race
"When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat."
Hardline president, essentially ended detente. Introduced regonomics, plan to outspend soviets.