The Fall of the Berlin Wall, 1989
- Erich Honecker, East German leader ran one of the most repressive Soviet Satallite gov't
- In fall of 1989 thousands of demonstrators demanded greater freedoms
- Honecker wanted to shoot them, was overruled and replaced by Eron Krenz
- On November 9 1989, the Berlin Wall was opened and free elections were held
The West German Christian Democratic party led by Helmut Kohl won on a reunification platform
- 3o october, 1990 the two Germany's because one withKohl as the Chancellor
Collapse of Communism 1989-1991
- Poland had uprisings
- Poland's Lech Walesa
- Hungary had been ruled by Janos Kadar since 1956 uprising, elections held, Jozef Natal replaced
- Czechoslovakia protested during velvet revolution
- After a nationwide strike the communist party resigned in favour of Vaclev Havel
- Romania had been ruled by Nicolao Ceausescu
- Bulgaria had its first elections in June 1990
- Albania become democratic in 1992
- Yugoslavia disintegrated to civil war in 1991
"I remember when the Berlin Wall fell and suddenly intractable problems get solved."
Would all of the other countries rid themselves of communism if the Berlin Wall hadn't fallen?
Berlin wall falls. Signal for countries around the world to rid themselves of communism.